Skip to main content

Going Omega

When I first tried Eve Online, there was only the option of a three-day trial. Now, you can play Eve for an unlimited amount of time as an Alpha Clone, or take the plunge to become an Omega.

And can I say that I love that CCP worked this change not only from a mechanics perspective but also added the change into the very lore of the game itself? If you haven't seen this, take the time to read Sine Wave: Alpha and Sine Wave: Omega.

Alpha Clones

As an Alpha Clone, you'll have access to a vast amount of  Eve Online at a rather basic level. You'll get to experience most facets of play, while being held back from the higher tiers of those aspects. You're limited to tech 1 ships (the first level in each category of hull) and nothing bigger than a Battleship. You'll learn new skills at 1/2 the rate of an Omega, and some kills won't be able to be trained, or won't be able to be trained past a certain point.

Many corporations will accept Alpha clones into their ranks, and Alphas can still serve in many roles. This is an unlimited trial kind of play, and allows you to get an idea of what the game is with nothing more invested than your time and energy.

One thing to keep in mind with Alphas is that you cannot log on more than account at a time, per user (according to the EULA, per computer, based on actual restrictions). 

Omega Clones

Omega Clones are the elite, paid-status of Eve Online. You're not in a trial anymore, and so you learn twice as fast as you did before and more skills and ships are open to you. There are no limits on skills, ships, or how many simultaenous accounts you can be logged in to with an Omega clone. 

Making the Switch

You may think that just going to Eve's website and setting up game time on your account is the way to make the initial switch from Alpha to Omega. Unfortunately, you'd be wrong. While this is the easiest method, it's not the most efficient. And you'll come to see that in Eve, efficiency is something you'll be striving for.

Instead, I highly recommend that you go look at the "DLC" section of Eve's website. This will give you the opportunity to buy a Star Pack (or something bigger) where you can get a month of game time, plex, and usually some skins or other little trinkets. You can find these same packs on Steam if that's your preferred method of buying as well.

Why not spend the same amount of money and get more? You can only apply a pack once per account, but it's a far better way to start your game time than just buying a month of time. The one caveat to keep in mind is that if you're using a refer-a-friend link, giving yourself Omega status through a pack is not going to trigger your friend's reward.

Though there's nothing that stops you from buying the first month of time to get your friend a reward, splitting the reward, and then using a pack for your second month and getting more Plex.

EDIT: And as was recently pointed out to me, here's a link to the Buddy Program. Find yourself a friend, reward them with some plex maybe. 

Shameless Plug

I would be remiss to leave out the shameless plug. If you're thinking about signing up for Eve Online, then consider signing up as a referred friend. You can be my friend! This will give the person that referred you a small boost of Plex or a free month of game time. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Annals: The Search for Home pt 2

Allison, begin log... This is Erika Fidard, Captain of the Signal Cartel Ship Reclamation. A ship that I found waiting in my hangar on Rens only two days ago, with no transaction log to tell me who my strange benefactor is. Still, I have to admit that for an Amarr vessel, she's pretty sleek.  But I digress. I woke this morning to a new ship with my preferred AI already loaded and a message that said AI couldn't display. Yet I could clearly see the light flashing for a new message. Ten minutes of hacking and what I had was a single line of Matari text. It read, 'Follow the roots.'  Whatever that means.  The Anathema is an Amarr vessel and so much of the history of New Eden ties back to Amarr. Maybe those are the roots? It was the only clue I had, so I set out to find more. I asked Allison to dig up relevant information on Amarr for me and listened to the reports on my way.  I'll admit that I nearly came to tears, not for seeing the beauty o

Annals: The Search for Home Pt 3

My tongue wants to shrivel up and die; my cheeks puckering in as if to save it. The Synth Coffee I had been given as a gift for taking on a tribesman's son as an employee may be the worst tasting thing I've ever tried to drink. I'm not sure if it's a measure of the father for his son, or if this stuff is just that terrible in general.  Or maybe the hydrostatic fluid of the capsule is slowly killing my taste buds. Could it be that the nanobots, the cybernetics, and the life of a capsuleer was slowly rewiring my body to taste the stars and give up terrestrial food and such delights? The faint whir of the door opening breaks my reverie and I look up to see my second in command, entering. His jacket is unbuttoned and I can see the start of white ink against bronze at his collarbone in a half-familiar image of our people, but not enough to be sure of the design. "Captain," he says in greeting before taking a seat across the table from me. "Entohk," I